No matter who you are, newbies or hardened vets, you are going to throw your controller down in annoyance at some point during Dark Souls 2.
It’s because the world of this game is actually a tough place to play. Moreover,it includes lots of advanced things from the beginning that might make any player lose their interest in learning how it works.
Hence, you need to consult our Dark Souls 2 beginners guide to know some basics before starting.
Be ready to explore?Here we are!
Dark Souls 2 beginners guide – Basic Information
Souls are the most critical resource and currency that you need to level up your character attributes.
Since every living thing in this game comes with a soul, if killing it, you can take its soul and add to your own. Additionally, you might gather souls from soul items or eliminate a boss and earn yourself a boss soul item.
When it comes to online matchmaking, there are two primary souls including:
- Soul Memory (SM) is the total number of souls that your character gathers in Dark Souls 2, and it’s never be lowered. SM will decide who you can play in multiplayer mode. And simply view the current SM in the Player Status as the red box.
- Soul Level (SL) is the current level that your character has. If you are at level 100, your SL is at level 100, for example. One of the most significant impacts that SL has is the number of souls you gain in online PvP and the number of characters attributes your character owns. Similar to SM, you can view SL in the Player Status as the red box.
One more vital thing that we want to mention in this part is how to use your souls to level up. To perform this, you have to speak with the Emerald Herald in the hub town of Majula. She will guide you to spend the souls to enhance the character attributes for every level.
Here are 9 various attributes that each character can have, consisting of:
- Vigor helps to expand the players’ Hit Points or Health Points (HP). The more HP they have, the more damage they can use without dying.
- Vitality permits you to bring more heavier equipment as well as developing your equipment load. It also helps to control your poison resistance together with Adaptability and physical defense together with Endurance.
- Adaptability is known as the major attribute that decide your resistance and agility to a status effect like poison resistance. Besides, it helps to resolve your poise together with Endurance.
- Endurance expands your Stamina which permits you to avail weapons frequently and run for longer distances. It determines your poise together with Adaptability and physical defense together with Vitality as well.
- Faith is the main attribute that Hexes and Miracles need. It will bring you more fire, lightning, dark defense, and a little faster casting speed.
- Intelligence is also the primary attribute that Hexes and Sorceries need. It’s necessary to give more fire, magic, dark defense, and a little faster casting speed.
- Described as one of the main weapon requirement attributes, Strength will decide whether you can or cannot avail a weapon, a shield or heavy armor. Also, your Strength determines how much damage you manage the strength-based weapons. Remember that your Strength won’t be doubled regarding damage.
- Similar to Strength, Dexterity is to decide whether you can or cannot use a weapon. But, in case you don’t satisfy the dexterity requirement, you will not use a weapon correctly. Dexterity determines how much damage you manage weapons that need finesse over raw power and enhance your physical defense as well.
- Attunement is the deciding factor in how many spell positions and a number of spells your character has without asking for special equipment. It helps to decide spell casting speed, curse resistance, and agility as well.
If the character attributes are crucial in Dark Soul 2 beginners guide, the character statistics are no less vital. Take a look below to know, guys!
Poise is to determine how easy you’re to be interrupted or staggered. It’s mainly given to you relied on your Armor.
The heavier your Armor is, the more Poise you have.
But your innate Poise is given relied on the lower attribute between Adaptability and Endurance. For instance, if your Adaptability is at level 10 and Endurance is 15, your innate Poise will follow your Adaptability.
Based on your Adaptability and Attunement, Agility decreases the necessary time for a player to use items such as Lifegems and Estus without affecting attack speed. Additionally, it enhances the number of invincibility frames when you make or roll a backstep. Relying on that, you won’t be hurt.
The more frames you have, the easier you dodge an attack when rolling. And the more agility you have, the more invincibility frames you get.
There are 4 different types of Magic, including:
- Sorceries make Soul Magic. This magic damage and defense are relied on your Intelligence attribute.
- Hexes make Dark Magic, and it’s based on your Faith or Intelligence at the lowest point.
- Pyromancies make Fire Magic. The Fire damage and Fire defense are relied on your Faith and Intelligence attributes.
- Miracles make Lightning Magic, and it’s based on your Faith.
Equipment Load or Stamina Regeneration
Since your equipment load is relied on your Vitality, the more Vitality you get, the more stuff you have. Equipment Load indeed has a significant influence on your capacity to dodge, your roll distance, and how quick you regenerate stamina.
There are 3 main kinds of rolling including Fast rolling (0-40%), Medium rolling (40-70%), and Fat rolling (up to 70%).
Additionally, some items help to enhance both your Stamina Regeneration and Equipment Load. However, the most important factor that determines your stamina regeneration is how much of Equipment Load that equipment will take and how much stuff you can bring.
Let’s show some of the weapons in Dark Souls 2!
They include daggers, katanas, straight swords, axes, hammers, spears, reapers, halberds, bows, crossbows, flame magic, piercing swords, etc. And all are divided into 4 groups like:
- Strength Weapons are the weapons that come with a high amount of Strength yet low Dexterity. Hammers and axes are typical examples.
- Dexterity Weapons are the weapons that offer a high amount of Dexterity yet low Strength. Bows and katanas are typical examples.
- Quality Weapons are the weapons that have a good amount of both Strength and Dexterity. Straight swords are typical examples.
- The final group is Magic Weapons.
The Magic Weapons also include 4 main types including:
- Sorceries have both offensive spell and support spells like Cast Light and Yearn. And their catalyst to cast spells is a stave.
- Hexes are known as the most difficult type of magic. You need to own both Intelligence and Faith. And to use Hexes, you must get a chime or a staff.
- Pyromancies can be availed by everyone that has a spell slot for the magic. Similar to Hexes, Pyromancies require both Intelligence and Faith. And note that the exact catalyst to cast is a Pyromancy Flame.
- Miracles mainly concentrate on defensive or support spells, not offensive ones. And the catalyst to cast them is chimes.
Armors include 3 primary kinds consisting of:
- Light armor is lightweight. It offers more in magic defense, yet not concerning physical defense. It also gives the lowest amount of Poise.
- Medium armor weighs more than light ones. Although it doesn’t offer more magic defense, it has as much defense to physical attacks.
- Heavy armor has the highest weight, providing the most amount of physical defense and Poise. It also comes with a lot of magic defense, but not as much as light armor.
Shields has 3 different kinds as well. They are:
- Small shields only give little protection yet are easy to use and lightweight.
- Standard shields are bigger and known as the most common type. They mainly bring better protection from damage than the small shields. However, they are harder and slower to use.
- Great shields are the biggest ones in Dark Souls 2. They provide the most protection out of all the shields. If being used correctly, these shields offer a lot of strength.
Shields that come with low physical defense have high magic defense and vise versa. Stability is the shield statistic that decides how much stamina will be availed on each attack that is blocked. And the high stability means it spends less stamina to block.
A BIG note to remember is not to use a shield in PvP in case you are not going to use it as a Stamina Regeneration.
The next important part of our Dark Souls 2 beginners guide is to learn about 8 different classes.
Just note that every class is only a starting point.For example, if you want to turn a bandit into a mage, you can level up this character. Though, you have to spend more point than a sorcerer.
That’s why you need to get a basic view of these classes before choosing the one you want most.
The Warrior is a well-balanced class that begins with a broken sword and a shield. This class has a high dexterity and strength that permit to avail lots of weapons with ease. But it doesn’t have much in intelligence and faith to use spells.
Described as a strong class, the Knight begins with the higher adaptability and HP yet low intelligence and attunement than other classes. It starts with a Broadsword, which is better than the broken sword. However, it doesn’t have a shield.
Since the Swordsman mainly bases on the use of dexterity weapon, this class begins with the highest amount of dexterity. But it has a decent amount of intelligence and a low one of health.
The Bandit owns a good amount of dexterity, HP, and vitality. This class begins with a short bow, 25 wooden arrows, and a hand ax. In case the arrows run out, you can contact a blacksmith or merchant to take more.
Although the Bandit has the lowest amount of intelligence and attunement to use spells, it comes with a great amount of faith that can be defeated by the Cleric.
The Cleric is known as a useful class to begin. It comes with a strong mace. Although you don’t need to have the required strength to handle the mace, you should use two hands to control it.
Just remember that the Cleric has a low amount of endurance and adaptability.
Belonging to the magic-based class, the Sorcerer owns a staff for spell casting, a Black Hollow Mage Robe, the spell Soul Arrow, and a dagger for close combat. Although it has a high amount of intelligence, it lacks HP.
The Explorer is described as one of the weakest classes because it doesn’t have any stats, except for adaptability. But this class can find lots of consumable items without meeting any problem.
The Explorer owns a dagger and a headpiece that help to get the rare items.
You will start with nothing apart from the clothes if choosing the Deprived. However, this class comes with a perfectly equal starting stats and be a flexible one if you need to rebind the stats later.
It’s suggested to choose the dagger in the tutorial area to acquire a starting weapon. Or simply become a self-made man that can beat everyone with the fists.
Tips and tricks for using weapons in Dark Souls 2
Choose the right weapons
As outlined above, weapons in this game have all formats. Hence, it’s necessary to find the one that is suitable to your playstyle and the stats you want to invest.
For instance, if you focus on strength, it’s best to select hammers or greatswords. In case you prefer the dexterity class, you should tend to choose curved swords.
Take advantage of Blacksmiths
After finding the weapon, you need to look for a blacksmith to help you improve it. Try to trade the boss souls with a particular blacksmith to acquire the boss’s weapon and then infuse your weapons with elemental damages. Note that the first blacksmith Leningrast can upgrade your weapons to +10.
Use weapon infusion
Using weapon infusion gives various effects to the weapons.
- Fire helps to lessen the physical damage, strength, and dexterity scaling yet enhances fire scaling and fire damage.
- Magic also diminishes the physical damage, strength, and dexterity yet improves magic scaling and magic damage.
- Bleed adds a bleed effect yet reduces base damage and scaling.
- Poison helps to add a poison effect yet reduces base damage and scaling.
- Dark decreases physical damage, strength, and dexterity yet better dark scaling and dark damage.
- Lightning decreases the similar stats yet better lightning scaling and lightning damage.
- Mundane helps to upgrade the weapon to scale by the character’s lowest stat yet reduces weapon base damage by 50% and the original stat scaling.
- Raw helps to upgrade weapon physical base power, reduces stat scaling and weapon that might be enchanted with temporary weapon effects.
Avoid putting all your eggs in one basket
Remember not to spend all the titanite and your souls on just one weapon. It’s because you can find another stronger weapon when you progress throughout the game.
In case you have no idea of picking any weapon, you should start with Heide Knight weapons as they come with a good lightning bonus.
To be honest, Dark Souls 2 is a challenging game to experience. If missing our Dark Souls 2 beginners guide above, everything will become harder and harder.
Make sure you read all carefully before starting playing toacquirea BIGadvantage at the beginning.
Or if you need more information or have a query, don’t mind asking us or waiting for our upcoming posts about this game to find out more.